Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Covenant

To listen to The Covenant, click here









There were stones that broke the windows
There were fires in the cellars, it was almost noon
And I don’t believe in God
But the sign upon my house said I'm a Jew
Then they took awaythe children, they burned the Sepher Torah,
They held me till my body’s veil was torn
There was weeping in the village, there was thunder in the mountains
There was blood and there was fire and there was storm

And on the blood of my forefathers
On the dry bones of Masada
On the bodies of my children I do swear
That I’ll see you, I’ll see you, I’ll see you
In Jerusalem next year

The desert sun was burning
It carved a pyramid upon my feet
And my heart was tired of searching
And the sign upon the gate said "Work Makes Free"
There was oil for the candles, there were ovens primed for cooking
There was meat that had grown fat upon the bone
But my eyes were blind with tears, my heart was sick with fever
My hand upon the law was carved in stone

Who will be my witness
Who will not forget to call my name
My skin is made of lampshades
The temple of my spirit rocks with pain
I'm the one who killed your Saviour, I put poison in your water
I carried off your child and ran him through
But you will not find me kneeling, no you will not hear me wailing
I’m proud to sing out loud "I am a Jew"

No your ghettos cannot hold me
Your laws cannot deny me – I’m a Jew
And your fire will not tame me
Your wire will not chain me – I’m a Jew
From the graves my song is rising, pure and free of all despising
My heart protects, my spirit calls the Name
Israel fell in blood and fire, Israel now in blood and fire
Shall rise, and rise, and rise again


According to legend, when the Israelites fled out of Egypt and crossed the Sinai desert, their way was lit by a pillar of smoke in the daytime and a pillar of fire by night. The pillar guided their destiny; the fire marked it - the flames of a thousand future pogroms.










If you would like to include "The Covenant" in your repertoire, either for paid public performance or to record for commercial purposes, or if you would like to re-use the recordings attached to this blog-page for commercial purposes, contact argaman@theargamanpress.com. 
Use of this song, and/or these recordings, for non-commercial purposes, is not simply permitted but invited.



Words and music by David Prashker
Copyright © 2014 David Prashker

All rights reserved
The Argaman Press

No comments:

Post a Comment