Tuesday, September 30, 2014

A Journey Into Rhyme

To listen to an audio recital of the poem, click here



I set out on a journey into rhyme
to see what freedom may be found there
It does not take a great amount of time
to understand I am already bound there

The lines upon the page rule my direction
The margins set the limit of my scope
But infinite capacities of diction
defy the inclination to lose hope

A single word suffices to deliver
freedom to the dungeon or the cell
From Devil’s Island swim away down-river
to where the butterflies enlighten Hell

Then chain me like Prometheus’ eagle
compelled to watch the liver outlive pain
Fetter me in garb stately and regal
constrained to clothe the emperor again

Open up the boundaries and borders
Unlock the wrought iron prison gate
Issue me a free man’s marching orders
Let gaol itself empower me to create

And give me words like God in the beginning
imbued with absolute creative might
Atlases of Ariadne’s spinning
Labyrinths of waxen, wingèd light

Bury me in lexicons of leather
Weigh me down with coffin-loads of texts
Lear my soul through heaths of stormy weather
Guide me through the guide for the perplexed

Virgil me on journeys beyond never
dictionaries my dreams misunderstood
Grant me strength to raise my sword and sever
the knots that fetter the enchanted wood

Sancho me on journeys beyond rhyming
Show me what exists beyond the found
Grant me more of tempo less of timing
and let me know at last I am unbound






"A Journey Into Rhyme" is published in "Welcome To My World, Selected Poems 1973-2013", The Argaman Press. Click here to purchase the book.



No comments:

Post a Comment